AFF Indo China - Vietnamese Sizzling Crepes (Banh Xeo)

I Love. I Cook. I Bake.
Sat, 28 Jun 2014 14:51:00 +0000
Ah, I have a list of what to cook for Asian Food Festival (AFF) this month, only to realize that I have been beaten by school holiday this whole month packed with activities with the kids - we were out on most days, 8 days holiday, and of course high pile of home works! Okay, never mind.. Now, approaching the end of June, school holiday is almost over, I still can do one or two. So, here's my first Vietnamese dish I made this month. In fact, this is my very first Vietnamese dish ever! :)     When I ate this dish, I was like...SHIOK!!! - typical Singaporeans' reaction whenever doing something enjoyable LOL This dish is so good! Do not ever eat without the dipping sauce, if you want to feel shiok too :) Yummy and refreshing, it's so addictive, too. I ate this dish as my dinner yesterday, telling myself I would eat half, I ended up polishing the whole plate. Yes, it's that good! Hahaha...       Saw this dish the first time at Peng's Kitchen. She presented it so well with side salad. I didn't need salad. I didn't want salad. I just want to munch on the whole crepes LOL   At first I thought it's omelette. Just realized there is no egg used when I read the ingredients used. Interesting. More interesting to find out this is Vietnamese dish. All along my knowledge about Vietnamese food is only about beef pho, broken rice and pork chop baguette sandwich. Another new thing explored. So happy :)   What you need:   Crepes: 150g rice flour 1 tsp turmeric powder 3 stalks of spring onion, chopped 2 tbsp olive oil 1 cup water 1/2 cup coconut milk   Filling: 200g chicken fillet, thinly sliced (I diced) 200g peeled prawns, sliced into 3 parts 1 medium onion, peeled, thinly sliced 300g beansprouts, trimmed salt, pepper, cornflour   Dipping sauce: 2 cloves of garlic, minced 1 red chilli, minced 1/4 cup fish sauce 2/3 cup water 2 tbsp lime juice 1/4 cup sugar   Method: Marinade chicken with salt, pepper, cornflour. Set aside Combine ingredients for the crepes, whisk til smooth. Rest for 30 mins Mix all ingredients for the dipping sauce til sugar dissolved. Adjust taste if needed Heat 1 tbsp oil in a pan. Add in onion, sautee til fragrant, slightly softened. Remove from pan Add in chicken slices, pan fry for 2 mins til color changed. Remove from pan Add in prawns, sautee til pink. Remove from pan Clean pan with kitchen towel. Heat 1 tbsp oil over medium high heat. Stir batter for crepes. Scoop 1/4 part of the batter onto the oiled pan, swirl to create a thin layer. When the sides of the crepes start sizzling, top with onion, chicken, prawn and lots of beansprouts on half sides of the crepes. Sprinkle over some pepper. Cook 1-2 mins covered and then continue to cook uncovered til crepe crispy and golden. Fold crepe in half, gently slide onto a serving plate Serve hot immediately with the dipping sauce. It'll lose its crispiness when cooled   I am submitting this post to Asian Food Fest – IndoChina hosted by Kelly Siew Cooks