Annada Kesari Bhaat / Sweet Saffron Rice

Mane Adige
Mon, 7 Sep 2009 10:15:00 +0000
          Hey folks! All well at your end, I hope.... Things have been good at my end,apart from the cough and cold that everyone in our house is falling prey to. The weather out here in Bengaluru has been pretty gloomy and rainy. Probably that's the reason why everyone around seems to be falling sick so often. My Ajji- Taata are here with us since a couple of weeks and I am getting to learn a whole lot of traditional dishes from  my Ajji! One such dish that I learned from her was "Annada Kesari Bhaat". This dish happens to be one of my favorites, and I love it even more after having learned how easy it is to make :) Have a surprise guest at home? You could put this together in just 10-15 mins! Ingredients: 3/4 cup Cooked white rice ( I like mine to be mushy and well cooked) 1 cup Sugar (Adjust quantity according to taste) 1/4 cup Ghee/Clarified butter 8-10 Saffron strands 1-2 tsp Warm Milk 1 tbsp Raisin-Cashew mixture 1-2 drops Food color (optional)   Method: Soak saffron strands in warm milk and keep aside. Heat a pan on medium flame and add 1/4 cup of water to it. Add all the sugar and stir until it dissolves completely and forms a thread like consistency; Note:Add just enough water to dissolve all the sugar. Add half the quantity of ghee to the pan and stir until it dissolves. Add the cooked and mashed rice, food color and remaining ghee; Pour the milk with saffron strands over it and mix thoroughly. Roast the cashews and raisins in 1 tsp of ghee and add to the Kesari Bhaat; Serve hot and relish!

Comments