Ashoka halwa recipe | Diwali Video recipes

Rak's Kitchen
Tue, 20 Oct 2015 09:24:52 +0000
I tasted ashoka halwa only in my marriage, before that, I have never tasted the sweet or know that such sweet exists. My FIL arranged and brought 2 chefs (thavisu pillais)  from our native side and they cooked awesome food for our marriage. This ashoka sweet for one it was red in colour as they had used red food colour. Other than that, I never knew about the recipe. It was yumm that what I knew. After I started blogging, I saw the recipe in a Laavanya’s blog, tried and posted the picture as well. It’s Vj’s favorite sweet, that’s why I tried. I added a lots of ghee in it, still it came out sticky. I was not sure why it became so sticky that time, but now when I made this yesterday, I realised I should have cooked the halwa more. Such a simple mistake, but that point of time I never understood. After that I never got confidence to try. But last week during our usual chat with my friends, I again got this reminded. My friend Suji sent me a recipe as she have tried several times. Only thing I altered was ghee as I tried to be safe. Otherwise I followed the same. The texture was really smooth. This sweet is famous in Thiruvaiyaru as well as Tanjore. I have never tasted from these places, I hope someday I get a chance to taste . This is also called Asoka halwa or moong dal halwa too. Full video for Ashoka halwa : Ashoka halwa recipe Recipe Cuisine: Indian  |  Recipe Category: Sweet Prep Time:  5 Mins    |  Cook time: 30 mins     |  serves: 6 Ingredients Moong dal (paasi paruppu) – 1/2 cup Sugar – 1 cup Ghee – 1/4 cup + 2 tbsp Wheat flour – 1 tbsp cardamom  powder – 1/4 tsp  Food colour – 1 pinch Cashew nuts – 8 Method Pressure cook moong dal with 2 cups water and mash it really smooth. I used my hand blender and gave a pulse, you can also do this using mixer. If its already mashed smooth you can skip grinding. Mean while, In a pan, heat 2 tbsp ghee, first fry cashew nuts until golden, keep aside and switch off the flame. Fry wheat flour in the same hot ghee it until fragrant, taking care not to burn it. Keep aside. In a heavy bottomed pan or non stick pan, heat the cooked dal with sugar. Add ghee 1 tbsp at a time. Mix well until it gets incorporated with the moong dal sugar mixture and again add another tbsp and repeat until done with the ghee. The colour of the moong dal mixture turns transparent as you cook. Once thick, add food colour and mix well. Add cashew nut, cardamom and  lastly the fried wheat flour with ghee. Once you add wheat flour, the mixture will thicken and keep cooking, it will start leaving the pan and ooze ghee. Do in medium flame. Once halwa consistency reaches, that is the ghee oozes out and becomes glossy, switch off the stove. Notes Pressure cooking moong dal with 4 cups water ensures it is cooked soft. This makes easier while you mash the dal. If the dal is not mashed well, it will stay same in the halwa and wont be smooth. Instead of wheat flour, you can also use maida (All purpose flour). My friend told she adds only 2 tbsp of ghee and still it comes out good. After completely cooling down, the ghee gets frosted, and gives a grainy texture. So heat a bit before you serve to make it smoother. You can add more wheat flour too but I like it minimum. Flavorful and delicious moong dal halwa aka ashoka halwa. Special Diwali recipe . Technorati Tags: ashoka halwa recipe,asoka halwa recipe,ashoka halwa,asoka halwa,ashoka halwa recipe video,diwali special sweets,deepavali sweets,Diwali 2015 special recipe,Diwali 2015