Bagara Rice | Hyderabadi Bagara Rice Recipe

Chef and her kitchen
Mon, 17 Feb 2014 14:50:00 +0000
Bagara Rice or Bagara Chawal or Bagara Annam is a simple Hyderabadi rice recipe which can be prepared in a jiffy with not much of extra work.'Bagar meaning tempering, is basically an easy peasy plain Biryani recipe without any vegetables and masala powders.Bagara rice is also a popular rice dish in weddings or functions in Hyderabad apart from the famous Vegetable Dum Biriyani. This Bagara Rice pairs up beautifully with spicy curries like Bagara Baingan , Mirchi ka Salan , Kala Chana masala or any spicy gravy.It is ideal to prepare these kind of simple rice varieties when you are making elaborate menu during parties as it is quick to prepare and reduces the effort. Check out other Hyderabadi specials in my blog: Bagara Baingan Mirchi ka Salan  Vegetable Dum Biriyani Hyderabadi Bagara Rice Recipe: Serves 2 Prep time:10 mins | Cooking time:30 mins | Total time:40 mins Cuisine: Hyderabadi - Indian | Category: Rice | Pulav Ingredients: 1 heaped cup Basmati Rice 1 big Onion, finely sliced2 tsp Ginger-Garlic paste 12-15 Cashew nuts ,split into halves(optional) 8-10 Mint leaves(optional) 3/4" Cinnamon 3-4 Cloves 2-3 Green Cardamom 1-2 Bay leaves 1 tsp Shahjeera (black cumin seeds) Salt to taste 1 tbsp Oil 1 tbsp Ghee Method: Wash and soak basmati rice in water for 10 mins.Do not wash more than twice as it looses its fragrance. Heat oil and ghee in a thick kadai/pan(or cooker) and fry cashew nuts until they turn golden in color and remove them and keep aside.In the same oil add shahi jeera and let them crackle. Add cloves,green cardamom,cinnamon and bay leaves and fry them for a minute.Slighly open the cardamom pods before adding so that they do not splutter. Add  thinly sliced onions and fry until they become translucent and then add ginger-garlic paste and fry well. Add drained basmati rice and fry well for a couple of minutes until its dry,do this step carefully as the rice might get broken. Add 2 cups of water and let it come to a boil and add salt and mint leaves and cover it and let it simmer for 12-15 mins until done.If you are preparing it in cooker,pressure cook for 1 whistle and simmer it for 5-7 mins. When the pressure drops,gently fluff it up using a fork and add fried cashew  nuts and mix. Garnish with fried onions(optional) and cashew nuts. Serve it hot with Bagara Baingan | Mirchi ka Salan | Kala Chana masala or any spicy gravy and raitha,papad.I served it with Kala Vatana Curry. Notes: Mint leaves are optional in the recipe.I usually add it if I have them otherwise I ignore adding them. This is a mild spiced rice recipe which pairs well with any spicy curry. You can add vegetables like carrots,peas,potatoes,beans,capsicum and make vegetable pulao following the same recipe. The addition of ghee enhances the flavor of rice and pulaos,hence do not skip it. You can add 1-2 green chillies,slit along with onions.However it is optional.       Technorati Tags: bagara rice,hyderabadi recipes, hyderabadi rice, kushka rice, biryani rice recipes,hyderabadi veg recipes, easy pulao recipes, simple rice varieties for gravies, bagara annam, combination with mirchi ka salan, bagara baingan combination