Bajre Ki Khichdi (Pearl Millet/ Sajjala Khichdi)

Cook's Hideout
Thu, 3 Jul 2014 04:30:00 +0000
Blogging Marathon# 42: Week 1/ Day 1 Theme: All about Millets Dish: Bajre Ki Khichdi Yet another month rolls by and today we are starting this month's blogging marathon. Big difference for me is I'm joining the lovely BM gals only 2 weeks this month, because it is vacation time and we are packing for a month long trip to India --- yay!!!!!! I wanted to skip this month altogether, but Valli's themes pulled me in. So for the first week, I picked up a relatively easy theme, All about Millets. I have started cooking with millets about 5~6 years back and interestingly I tried foxtail millet for the first time in a Mexican dish. It wasn't until later that I found out that they are very commonly used in India too. Millets are an ancient cereal cultivated in the dry climates of Africa and northern China. Interestingly millets were the staple food of Indian, Chinese and Korean civilizations. There are about 6000 varieties of millet throughout the world with grains varying in color. Foxtail millet is one of the oldest varieties. Today's recipe has been on my to-make list since the last mega marathon we had in April. Bajra/ Pearl Millet/ Sajjalu was one of the most popular ingredient used in Haryana cuisine. I bought some bajra and made this khichdi. It takes a while to cook bajra, using the pressure cooker is one of the quickest methods. This is a very hearty and filling meal. Both my kids loved it too. I added some mixed veggies to the dish to make it more substantial. Recipe adapted from PJ's blog: Ingredients: S Bajra/ Pearl Millet - ½cup Moong dal - ¼cup Mixed Vegetables - 1cup, chopped (I used frozen mixed vegetables with carrot, green beans, green peas and corn) Red Chili powder - 1tsp Onion - 1 medium, chopped Dry red chili - 1 Turmeric - ¼tsp Cumin Seeds - 1tsp Salt - to taste Method: Soak the millet and moong dal separately for 30 minutes. Heat 2tsp oil in a pressure cooker, add the cumin seeds and once the seeds splutter, add the onions and cook till they are lightly browned.  Next add the mixed vegetables and cook for 2~3 minutes. They don't have to be cooked all the way through, they will cook along with the millet and moong dal. Drain the millet and moong dal; add them to the veggie mixture and cook for a minute. Add the turmeric, chili powder and salt. Mix well and add 3cups of water. Pressure cook on medium-low flame for at least 5~6 whistles.  Let the pressure release naturally. Open the lid and if you see that there is water in the cooker, then simmer until all of the water is absorbed. Serve hot with some yogurt or a pickle. Lets check out what my fellow marathoners have cooked today for BM# 42.