Chana Aloo Gobi Masala: Chickpea, Potato, and Cauliflower Curry

Food for My Family
Mon, 6 Mar 2017 08:00:27 +0000
A recipe for a wet-style curry with chana (chickpeas), aloo (potatoes), and gobi (cauliflower). It’s a warm and comforting vegetarian meal that’s easy to make vegan.<br /><br />Consciousness starts just before I’m fully awake. It hovers beneath the eyelids. Before any alarms blare, I’m throwing off the warmth of the covers to contort my body and glare at the clock. Twenty minutes before intended.<br /><br />This is not satisfying.<br /><br />I’ve been feeling unbalanced, waking up a bit early, still tired from the previous day. The fabric of me is stretched thin, so thin it’s transparent. I don’t recognize the texture of myself anymore. Am I soft and silky? Brittle and bitter? Do I crack and crumble easily, or do you need scissors and saws to get through the layers?<br /><br />Do you remember? I don’t.<br /><br />I stand in the market. Place produce in a basket. A handful of peppers. I hold a bag of whole spices up to my nose and inhale. Where are you?<br /><br />I force myself to stand in the kitchen. To chop. To turn on the burner and go through the motions.<br /><br />On the stove, sap simmers. A window is open to let out the steam. The lingering scent of overturned earth drifts through the door. I toast spices in oil, close my eyes, and inhale. The sharp edge of the cumin becomes rounded. The fenugreek leaves brighten the ginger and cardamom. Somewhere in my gut, like spring, I start to remember what comes next.<br /><br />We started making aloo gobi out of necessity, a dish to fill the stomach when there wasn’t much else to eat, to utilize what we had, to clean the fridge. Now we seek it out, plan for bowls of sauce to be sopped up with rice or oven-baked naan. It’s transformed a bit: the addition of chana (chickpeas) to add extra protein, the method of making the sauce and toasting the spices varying until we landed on the favorite: a mix of different aloo gobi styles borrowing a bit from here and more from there.<br /><br />The last time we ate this meal we sat outside, the six of us around the patio, the grass green. Today the blades are brown, matted from the weight of winter, but there’s a promise in the air of a spring to come.<br /><br /> <br /><br />Creamy Vegan Kiwi Lime Avocado Pie by Letty’s Kitchen Stuffed Sweet Potatoes with Chickpeas, Asparagus and Arugula by Floating Kitchen Spicy Lemon-Ginger Tonic Tea by Suitcase Foodist Broccoli Rabe and Chicken Pizza with Basil Cream Sauce by Vintage Mixer Hot Chili Blistered Asparagus with Sriracha Aioli by Kitchen Confidante Glazed Meyer Lemon Bundt Cake with Candied Lemons by Simple Bites Frozen Chocolate-Dipped Kiwi with Sea Salt by Project Domestication Tempura Cauliflower with Spiced Yogurt Dipping Sauce by Completely Delicious Easy Lemon Thyme Roasted Artichokes by Flavor the Moments Healthy Shamrock Shake by Joy Food Sunshine Curry Roasted Cauliflower by Healthy Seasonal Recipes Roasted Cauliflower Pasta with Lemon Chimichurri by She Likes Food Thai Curry Cauliflower Soup by Mountain Mama Cooks