Chocolate-Chocolate Chip Buttermilk Cake

Coconut and Lime
Mon, 19 May 2014 04:00:02 +0000
Ingredients: 1 1/2 cups flour 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa 1 teaspoon baking powder 1 cup sugar 1 egg, at room temperature 1 cup buttermilk, at room temperature 1/2 cup canola oil 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips pinch salt for the glaze: 1/2 cup buttermilk* 1/2 cup confectioners sugar 1 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa Directions: Preheat oven to 350. Grease and flour a standard loaf pan. In a medium bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients. Set aside. In a medium bowl or the bowl of a stand mixer, beat together the egg, buttermilk, and canola oil. Slowly stream in the dry ingredients (while the mixer is running) and mix to combine. Fold in chocolate chips. Pour into prepared pan, bake 60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the pan comes out nearly clean. Unmold to a wire rack and cool. Whisk together the glaze ingredients. Drizzle over cake. *I get my buttermilk from our local dairy via the milkman(!). It is very, very thick so I thinned the glaze out with a bit of milk. If using store-bought buttermilk this should not be an issue. My thoughts:This is where I tell you I am insane. I must be to make this cake on the afternoon before heading on a two week trip to Portugal. In my defense, I am packed (liquids and all!), cleaned out the fridge, printed all documents and had buttermilk to use up. Plus, May marks the 10 year anniversary of this blog! How could I let it pass without cake? This cake is marvelously simple and moist, it comes together in a flash and keeps well. I think it is even more chocolatey the next day. That is the beauty of a cake made in a loaf pan and lightly glazed. All recipes, text and photographs on Coconut & Lime are the original creations and property of Rachel Rappaport (coconutlimeblog@gmail.com) and are for personal, nonprofit use only. Do not post or publish anything from this site without written permission from the author. If you see this message and recipe on any site other than http://www.coconutandlime.com the work is being used illegally. Please contact Rachel Rappaport at coconutlimeblog@gmail.com so action can be taken.