Dal Palak | Palak Moong Dal | Palak Dal

Chef and her kitchen
Mon, 12 Dec 2016 03:00:00 +0000
I prepare Palak dal in two types - one is the typical South Indian style of  Palak Dal using Toor dal and chopped palak and the second version is this dal where Palak is used in pureed form along with moong dal(yellow or split green gram).The first version of Palak Dal tastes best with the rice where as the second version tastes best with rotis or naans or simple steamed basmati rice. Because of the addition of palak paste the dal also gets a rich green color which itself looks so appetising. In addition to that I usually add a tadka(tempering) of finely chopped garlic in chili oil at the end to the dal which makes it even more delicious in flavor and taste and looks of the final dal, which is perfect for you to serve in your parties instead of the usual fare like Dal Tadka, Dal Fry and Dal Makhani. You can check out various Palak recipes in my blog: Aloo Palak Grilled Corn-Palak PaneerMakai Palak Paneer Palak Paneer Rajma Palak Palakura Pappu / Spinach Dal Palak(Spinach) Rice Dal Palak Recipe with Moong Dal: Serves 2-3 | Author: Prathibha Prep time: 10 mins | Cooking time: 30 mins | Total time: 40 mins Cuisine: North Indian | Category: Main Course - Dal Ingredients: 1/2 cup Moong dal(Yellow or split Green gram) 2 cups Spinach,chopped 1 Onion, finely chopped 1.5 tsp Ginger-Garlic paste 2 Green Chillies 1 tsp Coriander powder 1/2 tsp Cumin powder 1/4 tsp Garam masala 1 tsp Amchur powder(Dry Mango powder) 1 tsp Cumin seeds a pinch of Asafoetida Salt to taste 1.5 tbsp Oil to temper: 2 tsp finely chopped Garlic 1/2 tsp Cumin seeds 1/4 tsp Red chili powder 2 tsp Ghee Lemon wedges, to serve Method: In a pan add 1/2 tsp oil and add green chilles and chopped spinach and fry until the spinach becomes slightly mushy and cooked.Cool it down and grind it to a smooth puree. Pressure cook moong dal until 3-4 whistles and let it cool down completely.Slightly mash it and keep it ready. In the same kadai add 1.5 tbsp oil and crackle cumin seeds and asafoetida and then add finely chopped onions and fry until they turn pink in color.Add Ginger-garlic paste and fry well until the raw smell goes away. Now add pureed spinach and fry nicely for 4-5 mins until the oil leaves at the edges. Add all the spices - coriander powder, cumin powder, garam masala, amchur powder and salt and fry nicely again for another couple of minutes.          Add cooked moong dal to it and mix nicely and cover it and cook for 4-5 mins until it is done.           In a small tadka pan heat ghee and crackle cumin seeds and add finely chopped garlic and fry until it turns slightly brown in color.Switch off the flame and quickly add red chili powder and give a quick stir and add this tempering to the dal. Serve it hot with Roti/Naan/Parathas/Rice/Jeera Rice.Serve a lemon wedge along with the dal. Notes: I usually do not add tomatoes when I cook any spinach dish and hence I compensate the sourness of the tomatoes by adding amchur powder and lemon.If you are using tomatoes you can add finely chopped tomatoes after you add onions and fry nicely. The tempering of garlic is optional but gives a nice flavor to the dal, hence I recommed to use it. The beauty of the dal is its green color because of the addition of the pureed palak, but one can prepare it by using chopped palak. Technorati Tags: dal palak, palak dal, palak dal with moong dal, palak moong dal, north indian dal recipes, side dish for rotis, side dish for rice