Deep Fried Chocolate Banana Wontons

Le Petit Ogre
Thu, 15 Dec 2011 19:01:14 +0000
Okay so I know it's the second week of December and I stil haven't posted anything for the holidays, so I suppose this better be a good one. Well it is. Deep fried chocolate caramel banana wontons. And if that isn't good enough, I don't know what is. The best part of this dessert/appetizer/snack/yumminess is watching people bite into the crispy wonton expecting something savoury but instead getting a sweet surprise. And during the holidays who doesn't love a sweet surprise? And the brilliant part about these wontons is the ease of making them and how little ingredients are required. There is no fusing with measurements and you can add whatever you like into the wontons, well whatever you can fit. You can replace the Caramilk with Rolos or bits of Mars bars, and switch up the peanut butter for Nutella, or use strawberries instead of bananas. Endless possibilities. These can also be made ahead of time, wrapped and refrigerated till you are ready to deep fry them. They don't take long to fry up as you're not trying to cook what's inside the wonton but simply creating a beautiful golden crispy shell. Enjoy! Deep Fried Chocolate Banana Wontons wonton wrappers (3 1/2" x 3 1/2") peanut butter 1 banana, peeled and sliced Caramilk bars vegetable oil for deep frying powdered sugar for dusting (optional) Prepare a small bowl of water at your prep station, this is to glue and seal your wontons. Take one wonton wrap at a time and smear about 1 tsp of peanut butter in the center. Press down a slice of banana onto the peanut butter and top with chocolate. Dip your finger into the water and trace around the edge of the wrapper. Fold the corners of the wonton into the center like an envelope and pinch and seal. Make sure the edges are sealed properly, use a bit more water if you feel it is needed, but do not soak the wrapper. In a small pot, heat up enough oil to fry 3-4 wontons at a time, about 3 inches deep. Heat the oil till it reaches 350°F or if you don't have a thermometer insert a chopstick or toothpick into the oil and it is ready when you see bubbles form. When the oil is ready slowly place in 3-4 wontons at a time and fry for approximately 1-2 minutes or until the wonton wrapper is a golden brown. Remove and place on paper towel to absorb excess oil. Dust the wontons with powdered sugar if desired and let cool for 1 minute before serving. Serve with vanilla ice cream if desired. Recipe from Bob Blumber Check out an interview I did with Bob on Roger Mooking's blog!