Eating Made Easy - Smoothie Mania!

Not On A Diet
Thu, 30 Dec 2010 19:07:00 +0000
Amelia Winslow of "Eating Made Easy - Food Solutions for Your Busy Life" has great recipes for healthy smoothies. I wanted to share them with you. Even if its cold outside you can re-fuel after a good workout or share one for an evening snack. I love these smoothie recipes because they offer a nice balance of protein and carbohydrates without a big sugar bomb.  Smoothies are also a great way to eat on the go, get in your daily fruit, or have a healthy dessert! Amelia's smoothies are  kind of like eating ice cream, only with fewer calories and more nutrients.  Below are some of her favorite smoothie recipes, but first, a few smoothie-making tips from Amelia: Good places to find cheap frozen fruit: Trader Joe’s, Whole Foods, Costco.  Or freeze your own. Use milk or milk substitutes as the liquid instead of juice, to keep your smoothies high in calcium and lower in sugar. Use plain yogurt instead of flavored, to limit sugar. Put the liquid & yogurt in the blender first, fresh fruit in second, and the frozen fruits in last, so your blender blends more easily. If you’re blender struggles, use the “pulse” button, or stop it and shake the carafe around a little to loosen things up.  (Don’t stick a spoon in there, you’ll end up with injury or a big mess). Think of a smoothie as a meal or part of a meal, not just a drink.  Smoothies are only nutritious if they’re not adding excess calories to your diet.For all of the following smoothie recipes, simply blend the listed ingredients (put soft stuff in first) until you reach desired consistency.  These amounts are approximate.  No need to measure, just experiment to see what you like. Peach Mango Smoothie 1/2 cup plain nonfat yogurt 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk 1/2 cup frozen peach slices (about 1/2 a large peach) 1/2 cup frozen mango cubes splash of Amaretto (unless this is is for a kid) a few toasted sliced almonds on top for garnish & crunch Strawberry Banana Smoothie (shown above) 1/2 cup nonfat Greek yogurt 1/2 cup vanilla soy milk 1/2 frozen banana 5-7 frozen strawberries crushed or cubed ice to taste Pina Colada Smoothie 1/3 cup Light coconut milk 1/2 cup plain nonfat yogurt 1 cup frozen pineapple chunks 1/2 frozen banana 1 Tbsp shredded coconut (found in baking aisle) squeeze of lime juice cubed or crushed ice to taste Vegan Berry Smoothie 1/2 cup silken tofu 1/2 cup vanilla soy milk 1 cup frozen mixed berries 1 Tbsp honey crushed or cubed ice to taste Ultimate Chocolate Smoothie 1/2 cup low-fat milk 2 Tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder 6 oz container nonfat vanilla yogurt 1/2 banana lots of ice Banana Oat Smoothie Find it here on Martha Stewart’s Everyday Food website. (I use this recipe, only with a frozen banana and some ice). Raspberry Lime Smoothie 1/2 cup plain nonfat yogurt 1/2 cup limeade or lemonade big squeeze fresh lime juice 1 cup frozen raspberries cubed or crushed ice to taste