Greengram Idli / Moong Idli

Veggie Platter
Tue, 25 Oct 2016 01:10:41 +0000
The idea for this healthy breakfast option came from Kalyani's post from last blogging marathon though I overlooked the details at the time of preparation, ending up altogether with a different variety of idlis if I am not wrong. My husband loves his idlis as my daughter does her macaroni and cheese. The man wouldn't be complaining if idlis are the only thing that get served at breakfast table all his life while I am the opposite. I would eat them only as my last option though I make good quality idlis, thanks to my south Indian upbringing. The healthy infusion of moong beans in the idli captivated my attention though I wasn't sure how my husband would receive the idea. My husband considered me crazy to try to mess up with the perfected, traditional version of fluffy idlis though he wasn't that vehement about the idea after tasting them. They were a little heavy when compared to the standard version idlis and a few will fill you up good for a longer time. I used idli rice, forgot the seasoning part before filling the idli moulds and so, my idlis ended up looking different than Kalyani's. I am sure that the seasoning would make them more flavorful and there is always a next time to try them. :) These idlis make a healthier meal option and a great variation if looking out to try a different variety idli.  Ingredients: (Yield 18 to 20 idlis) 1/2 to 3/4 cup whole green gram / sabut mung 3/4 cup split, skinned black gram / urad dal 3/4 cup idli rice Salt to taste Method: * Rinse green gram, black gram and idli rice twice and soak in water (submerging them well) for 3 to 4 hours. Drain the water used to soak before grinding. * Finely grind the soaked ingredients adding salt and enough water into thick batter. Transfer the batter into a container that can hold more than the ground batter since it is going to raise during the fermentation period. * Cover the container and keep it in a warm place to ferment overnight. (I usually grind the batter in the evening and leave it in the oven with the light on. I do not turn on the oven. I live in a cold place and this method works for me resulting in a good fermented batter in around 12 to 14 hours.) * Grease the idli plates and fill the moulds with the batter and steam them on low flame, about 20 minutes. * Serve them with chutney / sambhar of your choice.    This goes to Blogging marathon #69, under the theme 'Bookmarked Recipes'. Check here to find out what the other marathoners are cooking as part of the BM. Comments