Lemonade - Nimbu Pani - How to make Lemonade

ShwetaintheKitchen
Wed, 2 Jul 2014 22:09:57 +0000
Lemonade also know as Nimbu pani in India is one of the famous summer drinks all over the world. Its basically lemon flavored water sweetened with sugar. So basic and easy yet the most refreshing. Perfect to revive the parched throats during summer. With many lemonade variations having branched, this basic version is still my favorite. You definitely wont buy the ready made/store bought ones once you try this one, its that good. This lemonade stays fresh for days in refrigerator so make a big batch, sit back and enjoy every sip of this lemony drink! The recipe below is not a concentrate i.e. its ready for drinking. But sometimes I do make it concentrated (i.e. without water and ice) and keep it in refrigerator like I have in my Strawberry Lemonade recipe. With concentrate you have the flexibility of mixing it with plain water, sparkling water or soda for a fancier outcome. Thus making it a great party drink.  Totally love this drink in all the combinations.  Now to the recipe... Ingredients:  1 and 1/2 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice 2 to 3 cups ice cubes 2 and half cups simple syrup (or to taste) {See notes for recipe} 1/2 tsp salt 4 to 5 cups water Few lemon slices and mint for serving pinch of cardamom powder (optional) Method:  In a large pitcher add the lemon juice, ice cubes, simple syrup, salt and water. Give it a nice stir. Taste and adjust the sugar/lemon juice or water content as per liking. Some like the flavor of cardamom in their Nimbu pani so add a pinch if you like it.  Notes:  To make simple syrup add 1 cup of sugar to 1 cup of water in a small sauce pan and bring it to a boil. Stir occasionally. Switch off and then let it cool.  The tartness of lemons can vary so you can adjust the sweetness & water content accordingly. The above ratio of lemon to sugar and water worked perfect for me.   After washing the lemons thoroughly, soak them in warm water for some time. Or  roll them between your cutting board and palm a couple of times applying gentle pressure.  This will help getting more juice out of them.  If you like to make the concentrated version, skip the water and ice. While serving add equal (or to taste) portions of lemonade concentrate and chilled water/soda/sparkling water. That's it, our very Fresh Homemade Lemonade is ready. Serve it chilled garnished with some lemon slices and mint leaves. Add some ice cubes for that extra chill. Enjoy!! Stay Hydrated!! Shweta