Mallige Idly / Rice Idly

Iyer's Peppers
Wed, 18 Sep 2013 06:48:00 +0000
ಮಲ್ಲಿಗೆ ಇಡ್ಲಿ My Mother in law makes the best idlis and we all love to eat them dozens when she makes. We usually will have idlies all day if we have the batter ready at home. We dont get bored to eat them at all. (its healthy and tasty) ;) Ingredients: Idly rice - 1 cup Urad dal (Whole) 1/2 cup Poha / Beaten Rice - one handful. Salt - a pinch Soda - a pinch (Optional) Ghee - 2  tbl spn Method: 1) Soak all the three ingredients separately for about 8 hours with sufficient water 2) Then, grind each separately into a fine paste and mix them together with salt and set aside to ferment for about 8 hours. (I usually soak the mixture in the morning, grind in the night before going to bed, and let it to ferment through the night) 3) Once the batter is fermented (You will notice a increase in quantity so place the bowl on a big plate or give enough space in the bowl for the mixture to increase) give it another good mix, and add soda and beat it well. 4) Now take the Idly plates, slightly grease them with ghee and pour the mixture into the idly plate and steam it for 5 mins. (as shown in the pic) (You can use the pressure cooker as well, but do not put the weight on it) 5) Once the idlis are steamed scoop them out carefully using a sharp edged spoon. 6) Serve hot with Coconut chutney / Sambar. Cheers! Madhavi

Comments