Mushroom & Spinach Biryani / Kaalan Paalak Keerai Biryani

Indian Kitchen
Tue, 17 Jun 2014 12:03:49 +0000
Mushroom & Spinach Biryani / Kaalan Paalak Keerai Biryani Mushroom & Spinach Biriyani, a flavorful biryani prepared from Button Mushrooms and Spinach with a touch of fresh Homemade Biryani Masala. I'm not a big fan of Mushroom and it is also not regularly prepared in my home. But whenever we get a packet of fresh mushrooms, i try to prepare Peppery Mushroom Masala to suit our taste-buds.  Biryani is a regular food prepared in my home and i like to try different variations. This time instead of preparing Mushroom Masala, i tried my hand with the combination of Spinach and Mushroom in Biryani. I have skipped Mint  Leaves, since the biryani should dominate with the flavor of Spinach. Try this flavorful Biriyani and let me know how it turned out. Lets move on to the recipe, Serves 2-3 Preparation time : 15 mins Cooking time : 25-30 mins Ingredients : For Biryani : 3/4 cup chopped Button Mushrooms 1 cup blanched Spinach 1 and 1/2 cup Basmati Rice - washed & soaked for 15 mins 3-4 cup Chicken / Vegetable Stock (or) water 2 medium sized onions - chopped 1 tomato - chopped 1/2 tbsp ginger-garlic paste 1/4 tsp turmeric powder 1/2 tsp red chili powder 1 tsp coriander powder salt to taste 1 bay leaf 2 tbsp olive oil To Roast & Grind : 2 cloves 1/2 cinnamon stick 1/2 tsp black cumin seeds / shahi-jeera 1/2 tsp black peppercorns 1 mace 1 tbsp nutmeg powder 1 tsp fennel seeds / saunf 1 star anise 1 bay leaf 2 cardamom Method : Dry roast all the above mentioned ingredients for few seconds and allow to cool. Grind in a mixer to coarse powder. Keep it aside.  Heat 2 tbsp oil in a pan or handi and tamper bay leaf. Add chopped onions and fry for a minute on low flame.    Add chopped tomatoes and mash the pulp. Add ginger-garlic paste and saute a while.  Add chopped mushrooms and blanched spinach. Saute a while. Add ground masala powder, turmeric powder, coriander powder and red chili powder. Stir well and Cook it covered on low flame for 5 mins. Add 3-4 cup of Chicken / Vegetable Stock. Mix well and let it boil. Add drained rice, salt and sprinkle little lemon juice if needed. Mix everything well and cook it covered on low-medium flame till rice is done. You can keep it on dum for 5-10 mins and serve hot with raita and any veg / non-veg gravy.