Mysore Masale/ Mysore Masala Dosa

Mane Adige
Sun, 27 Jun 2010 10:19:00 +0000
           Well, this one needs no introduction! Mysore masale, as most of you would know, is one of the most famous dishes of Karnataka. This dish is so liked by people all over India, that each place has its own variations and versions. "Red Chutney" is the one thing that makes Mysore Masale different from ordinary masala dosas. Red chutney adds a beautiful flavor and spice and makes this dosa indeed delicious. I believe that my mom makes the best Mysore Masale in town ;), and what's more, she is a Mysorean herself!!! :)  Here's the recipe.... Ingredients: For Dosa Batter Follow Paper Plain Dosa recipe for batter ingredients and procedure Masale (palya) 2 medium sized Potatoes - Pressure cooked, peeled and mashed coarsely. 3 medium sized Onions - Chopped into thin strips 1/2 to 3/4 tsp Haldi/Turmeric powder 1 tsp Lime juice (optional) 1/2 tsp Sugar (optional) 1" Ginger, finely chopped (optional) 3-4 strands Cilantro, finely chopped 3-4 Green chilies, medium spiced - coarsely chopped 5-6 Curry leaves 1 tbsp Oil 1 tsp Mustard seeds 2 tsp Chana/Urad dal mixture Salt as per taste Red Chutney 2 tsp Chana Dal 2 tsp Urad dal 5-6 Dry Red Chilies, low spiced 1/2 cup Grated coconut, fresh/frozen Method: Masale: Heat oil in a heavy bottomed pan; Temper with mustard seeds, curry leaves, dal mixture, haldi, ginger and green chilies. Add sliced onions and fry until done;Note:Adding half a tsp sugar gets the onions roasted faster. Add mashed potatoes, salt and mix well; Remove from stove. Add lime juice, cilantro and mix well; Keep aside. Red Chutney: Dry roast chana dal, urad dal and red chilies until you smell the fresh aroma of spices. Grind with coconut and some water to a smooth paste; Keep aside. Mysore masale: Make dosa as explained here - Paper Plain Dosa . When the dosa is almost done, smear a spoonful of red chutney on the inside of the dosa. Spread a ladle full of masale on one side of the dosa; Fold the dosa so that the masala and chutney are on the inside. Remove from stove and serve immediately with some Coconut chutney and/or sambhar Makes: Enough masale and chutney for 3-5 dosas; Prep Time: About 30-40 mins;