No.19: Deviled Potato with Egg Yolk Filling

lab@56
Tue, 26 Mar 2013 12:00:12 +0000
My exploration started when I asked… “what if I stuffed this in this?” As I research the history of this widely known dish, deviled eggs, I came to know a lot of things, like… they still call them deviled eggs even if there are no spicy ingredients. There are parts of the world that avoid the word “devil” for a variety of reasons. It also has a long history, many not known much. Whether it’s called stuffed eggs or deviled eggs, it conceptually is the same appetizer we know of; a dollop of creamy egg yolk mixture stuffed in a hard-boiled egg white cup.<br /><br />Well, I think I figured it out. Inspired by a typical (or stereotypical) breakfast. Eggs & home fries.<br /><br />Baby red potatoes were used in place of hard-boiled egg white cups, stuffed with the “devil” part of eggs, accompanied by bacon bits (optional).<br /><br />To warn you though, these deviled potatoes are not the lightest appetizer ever. I think deviled eggs work because of the marriage between creamy yet refreshing egg yolk filling and almost-tasteless hard-boiled egg white, and that gelatinous texture of egg white is what makes the filling even more stand out – it even feels lighter to eat. Although the starch from the potatoes, after a couple of them, makes the stomach full, the familiar taste of creamy filling and roasted potatoes almost remind you of a potato salad. And I think it’s not offensive. The idea here is to enjoy something familiar in a different form and explore.<br /><br />But there’ll be food wastes, you might ask. Well, I did make a handful of egg salad with leftover egg whites and yolk filling. Scooped-out potatoes were used for double-serve mashed potatoes with a bit of cheese. I probably could’ve done mashed potato fries. May be next time. We still enjoyed this “devil” with a peace of mind.<br /><br />There are other creative deviled eggs out there and I want to know more about it; what’s in your deviled egg filling?<br /><br />PS> The ones in photos, it’s paired with sun-dried tomato & basil flat grissini. Let me know if anyone’s interested in the grissini recipe and I’ll post it.<br /><br />Use your own deviled egg filling recipe if you prefer, the idea here is to enjoy something familiar in a different form.<br /><br />Preheat the oven at 400F. Line the half sheet pan (jelly-roll pan) with parchment.<br /><br />To make potato cups, slice the top of a potato. Using a melon baller , scoop out the inside of a potato enough to create a cup. Careful not to remove too much. Place a cupped potato on a prepared pan. Repeat this step until all potatoes are scooped.<br /><br />Drizzle olive oil over potatoes and season with salt and pepper. Place the prepared pan in the preheated oven for 30-40 minutes. Do a quick toothpick test to confirm the doneness. Remove from the oven when done.<br /><br />Meanwhile, put water in a medium sauce pan and place eggs gently. Add more water if necessary so that eggs are completely submerged. Boil eggs over high heat. Turn the heat off when water starts to boil. Place the lid on the pan and steam eggs in hot water for 10 minutes or so. Place the pan under running cold water for 30 seconds. Turn off the faucet and let the pan sit for a couple of minutes.<br /><br />Peel eggs; remove egg yolks and place them in small bowl. Mash yolks with whisk or folk. Add mayonnaise, vinegar, mustard, and tabasco, and mix until smooth. Add salt & white pepper and mix again. Adjust the taste according to your liking.<br /><br />Stuff the baked potato cups with yoke mixture; use a spoon or pastry bag and pipe it in. Place bacon bits on top and sprinkle parsley to serve.<br /><br />Side Notes:<br /><br />Baby red potatoes I've used were about 2 inches wide/long. I also used the smaller side of a melon baller for scooping.<br /><br />I kept the egg whites for an egg salad although they can be diced and put it in a potato cup before stuffing with egg yoke mixture.<br /><br />I made mashed potatoes from scooped potatoes (removed part).<br /><br />Adapted from Epicurious , Post Punk Kitchen and Bite Sized<br /><br />The post No.19: Deviled Potato with Egg Yolk Filling appeared first on lab@56.