Papa—it’s time to treat your bonne femme to a lovely breakfast in bed.

Chez Bonne Femme
Thu, 8 May 2014 16:29:51 +0000
Oeufs en Cocotte. Baked eggs, French Style.<br /><br />Here’s a super-simple but impressive egg breakfast recipe or egg brunch dish to serve Mom for Mother’s Day. Seriously–it’s so easy that even the kids could make it. <br /><br />Baked eggs are infinitely more wowing than scrambled eggs, but so much easier than a quiche, omelet, or soufflé. The French call these oeufs en cocotte (eggs in a little dish), and they’re just so luscious, beautiful…and no-kidding-around easy.<br /><br />Recently, I devoted my weekly Foodie Friday television segment to this recipe, so in preparation, I was a regular “oeufs-en-cocotte” machine. I must’ve made six versions, simply because I was on a roll. This version, below, is my favorite.<br /><br />Here’s how to make them (you can also skip to the recipe below….and the video).<br /><br />1. Break Two Eggs into a Dish. Drizzle 1 Tablespoon of Heavy Cream over the Eggs. Bake for 10 minutes at 375°F.<br /><br />I use mini quiche dishes, but you can also use 6- to 8-ounce ramekins or custard cups. If you use the deeper dishes, the eggs may need to cook a little longer.<br /><br />2. At this stage, they’ll look like this:<br /><br />The whites will have begun to set, but the yolks will still be raw.<br /><br />3. Add a couple tablespoons diced prosciutto and a couple tablespoons cheese of your choice, and some parsley.<br /><br />I love using La Quercia Prosciutto for this—it’s just a great prosciutto you can always rely on. As for cheese, you can use just about any meltable cheese you like. Generally, I like Comté or Gruyère, but here I used a white cheddar, and it was delish. Also: a little parsley or whatever herb you happen to have around that goes good with eggs. You could use cooked bacon or pancetta instead of prosciutto, if you wish.<br /><br />4. Bake about 3 minutes more or until the whites are set and the yolks are done to your liking.<br /><br />Bake a little longer if you like your yolks cooked. Me, I prefer them a little runny. The French like them downright soupy.<br /><br />SERVING SUGGESTIONS:  • If breakfast in bed, simply serve with some toast. • If brunch, serve with a green salad and pommes rissolées (fried potatoes) • I also adore serving this dish for dinner. I always have the ingredients on hand, and always have the energy to cook this easy-peasy dish. It’s a great way to avoid dining out by default.<br /><br />Recipe for French Baked Eggs<br /><br />For each serving: • 2 eggs • 1 tablespoons cream • 2 tablespoons diced prosciutto • 2 tablespoons Comté or Gruyère cheese, or any other cheese that melts well • Snipped fresh parsley<br /><br />1. Preheat the oven to 375°F. Butter an 8-ounce mini quiche dish or custard cup. Break the 2 eggs into the dish. Drizzle the cream over the eggs and sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste. Place the dish on a baking sheet. Repeat for as many servings as you need.<br /><br />2. Bake for 10 minutes. Sprinkle the each dish with diced prosciutto, cheese, and parsley. Return to the oven and bake until the egg whites are set and the yolks are done to your liking, 2 to 5 minutes more (custard cups may take longer than the shallow baking dishes). Serve.<br /><br />And finally, here’s a step-by-step video of me showing meteorologist Jason Parkin how to cook this dish. View on!: