Ramzan Nombu Kanji Recipe - Vegetarian Nombu Kanji | Iftar Recipes

Tickling Plates
Sun, 6 Jul 2014 18:30:10 +0000
This Nombu Kanji or Gruel is the vegetarian version of the famous South Indian Ramzan Nombu Kanji Recipe that is made for Iftar and distributed in all Mosques across Tamilnadu during the holy month of Ramzan or Ramadan. Traditionally this porridge is made with either mutton or chicken and is supposed to be more flavorful and aromatic and takes a long time to cook for all the flavors to emerge and mingle. This vegetarian version is also nothing less in terms of flavor but it gets cooked in no time. This gruel is vegan, 100% fat free, gluten free and makes a wholesome meal in itself. In Trichy where I grew up, the muslims friends also add drumstick stick leaves as its available in plenty in all the households and not only that its a rich source of iron and helps in treating mouth and stomach ulcers which some may suffer especially as they are fasting for such long hours everyday. This gruel is not only good to be made by the Muslims during Ramzan but it also makes a sumptuous, filling breakfast for physically hard working people and apt for all the people who keep fast (vrat). For Iftar, the muslims serve it with either urad dal vadas or samosas along with pudina thogayal or chutney and dates. Ramzan Nombu Kanji Recipe Prep time: 10 mins  |  Cook time: 25 mins  |  Serves: 4 Recipe Cuisine: South Indian  |  Recipe Category: Breakfast Ingredients: Rice – 1/2 cup Yellow Moong Dal – 3 tsp Water – 4 cups Coconut  milk – 1/2 cup Tomato, small – 1 Ginger – 1/2 inch piece Garlic – 2 pods Green chili – 1 Carrot, small – 1 (See Notes) Drumstick Leaves (Murunga Ilai) – 1 sprig (optional) Mint leaves – 1 handful Fennel seeds – 1/4 tsp Cinnamon – 1/2 inch stick (optional) Salt – to taste Instructions: Chop the tomatoes, garlic, green chili, mint leaves finely. Grate the ginger and carrot. With a mortar and pestle crush the fennel seeds coarsely and keep aside. Wash rice and moong dal well. In a wide, thick bottomed, deep pan, bring the water to a boil. When you see the bubbles appearing, add washed rice, moong dal, chopped tomato, garlic, chili, mint leaves, grated carrots, ginger, drumstick leaves, cinnamon stick, crushed fennel seeds and mix well. Close the pan partly with a lid and cook for 10 mins over medium flame, stirring in between. Now add salt, mix well and cook over low flame till the rice is cooked to a soft, mashable  consistency. Mix in between. Switch off flame. Immediately add coconut milk, mix well and close the pan tightly with a lid for the flavors to merge well. Serve piping hot with pudina thogayal. Notes: You can do this in the pressure cooker but making it in the open vessel helps all the ingredients and the flavor to merge well. Other than carrots, you can also add mixed vegetables like beans, cabbage and peas. Adding mixed vegetables and drumstick leaves are optional. Use raw rice (Pachcharisi), especially the one used for making pongal and not the boiled rice (Puzhungal arisi) for this recipe. The new (Pudhu arisi) the rice is the better as it gets cooked fast and becomes mushy quickly. Do not cook after adding coconut milk else the gruel will curdle. Add it only after you switch off stove and heat of the gruel is enough for it to release its flavor. If you find the porridge or gruel becoming thick, a while after cooking, add hot water to dilute and to adjust the consistency. Technorati Tags: ramzan recipes,iftar recipes,ramzan 2014,vegetarian ramzan nombu kanji,veg nombu kanji,south indian nombu kanji,vegan recipes,gluten free recipes