Rava dosa- Semolina crepes recipe with Video tutorial

Paaka Shaale
Wed, 19 Mar 2014 07:48:00 +0000
I am back with another South Indian dish. This time I have for you, the recipe for Rava dosa. The rava dosa is nothing but a delectable, crispy and easy to make counter part of the traditional dosa. The rava dosa is usually prepared with fine semolina, rice flour, and all purpose flour. Since the batter doesn't need any fermentation, these crepes can be prepared almost instantly. The addition of onions, chilies and coriander, increases the flavor quotient of the crepes and makes them quite irresistible.  This recipe was actually passed on to me by my grandmother. It seems like yesterday when, as a new bride, I had made her dictate a number of recipes and I had written them down in a book. The book is dog eared and the ink has faded. But the memory is still etched in my mind.  I wanted to post this recipe for a long time now. Since making the rava dosa is lightly different than the ordinary dosa, it can be slightly tricky as well. In order to help you make the crepes easily, I decided to make a video. This my first attempt at making a video and I am afraid, it is not very skillful. But I do hope the tutorial will be help you to make the crepes easily.  Rava dosa recipe: Preparation time: 15min+standing time Cooking time: 20-25min Makes- 12-15 dosas Ingredients: Chiroti rava or fine semolina- 2 cups or 240gms Rice flour- 1 cup, 120gm Maida or all purpose flour- 1/2 cup, 60gm Onion- 1 large, chopped fine Finely chopped Coriander leaves- 2tbsps Green chilies- 2, chopped fine Cumin seeds- 1tsp Salt to taste Sour curds- 2 tbsp Water to make the batter- approximately 5-6 cups or as required Oil to shallow fry- as required Method: In a large bowl, combine the semolina, rice flour, all purpose flour and salt and mix well Add the chopped onion, coriander leaves, green chilies, cumin seeds, the sour curds and enough water to make a thin batter. The consistency of the batter should be like that of buttermilk.  Cover and allow the batter to rest for 10-15min Heat a skillet and rub 1/2 a tspn of oil. Pour 1/2 a cup of batter from the outer edge of the skillet to and then proceed to the center, filling any gaps. Drizzle a tea spoon of oil and cook the dosa on low heat for a minute. Increase the heat and cook further for another minute or till you see dark patches appear on the crepe. Carefully Remove the dosa with a spatula and serve hot with coconut chutney. Notes: The rava dosa, doesn't need any fermentation unlike the regular dosa. The batter can be refrigerated for 3-4days. After that it acquires a sour taste. The crepe should have a netted texture. If the crepes are not netted and lacy, then simply add more water to the batter. Some of my friends argue that the batter should be allowed to stand for at least an hour. But I have never found the need to do so. The crepes that you see in the photographs were made just after 15mins of making the batter.