Sichuan Pork Wontons in Chili Oil Sauce (Hong You Chao Shou)

Red Shallot Kitchen
Wed, 19 Feb 2014 19:18:00 +0000
Click here to print the recipe I've been told that 'chao shou' in Shicuan dialect means 'folded arms', this refers to square wonton wrapper folded into 2 points, one crossed over the other. Any way you fold the wontons, this xiao chi (little dish) packs a lot of flavors. Savory pork filled dumpling are boiled, then mixed with spicy tangy sauce. Serve as appetizer or snack in small portions, about 4-5 wontons per plate.  Ingredients: 1 1/2 pounds ground pork (with about 20% fat. Do not use lean pork) 1 egg 1 inch fresh ginger, finely minced 8 garlic cloves, finely minced 2 tablespoons chinese rice wine, or dry sherry 1 tablespoon sesame oil 1 teaspoon chicken bouillon (optional) Salt and white pepper 40 wonton wrappers (3 1/2-inch or 4-inch square) 4 tablespoons soy sauce 1/4 cup Sichuan chili oil (Hong You) 4 tablespoons chinese black rice vinegar (also called Chinkiang/Zenjiang vinegar) 2 scallions, chopped Directions: In a large bowl, mix pork, egg, ginger, half of minced garlic, rice wine, sesame oil, chicken bouillon, salt and pepper until well blended. Lay out one wonton wrapper on a plate, place one heaping teaspoon of pork filling in the center of the wrapper. Brush the edges with water, fold the wrapper diagonally so it forms a triangle. Take 2 opposite corner and overlap each other, using a little bit of water to help them adhere. Place wonton on a lightly floured cookie sheet, repeat the process with the remaining wrappers and pork filling.  In a mixing bowl, combine chili oil, soy sauce, black vinegar, and the remaining of minced garlic. Set aside. Bring salted water to boil in a large pot. Working in batch, boil wontons for about 5 minutes, or until the wontons are cooked through and start floating to the surface. Transfer wontons to a large strainer to drain. Add wontons to chili sauce and mix thoroughly. Sprinkle with chopped onion and serve immediately.