Spicy Chicken Provençal with Peppers & Heirloom Tomatoes

red or green?
Thu, 17 Jul 2014 17:34:54 +0000
So...our long construction project is finally finished and we are ready to tackle the back yard. Time for a celebration, don't you think? Even though the yard currently is, literally, just dirt, it is summer and we need to be outside. I decided the food theme would be "alfresco Provençal picnic; cheese, olives, fruit, good bread, roasted vegetables, salads, tarts, crisps and lots of wine. Chicken Provençal is the perfect main dish...easy to make and terrific for a party because you can make it the day before and then serve hot, warm or at room temperature. With tomatoes and peppers coming into their season, this is the dish you will want to make all summer! Spicy Chicken Provençal with Peppers & Heirloom Tomatoes (serves 4) (I will  triple the recipe for my party) 8 whole chicken legs (organic & free range if possible) extra virgin olive oil sea salt freshly ground black pepper 2 onions, peeled and sliced 2 pints organic cherry tomatoes 8 heirloom tomatoes, quartered and then cut into eighths 1 red bell pepper, chopped 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced8 garlic cloves, peeled and sliced 1 bottle dry white wine 3 tablespoons Herbs de Provence additional heirloom tomatoes cut into quarters and sprinkled with fresh herbs (rosemary, thyme, lavender and sea salt and black pepper) as garnish Preheat oven to 350 degrees. You will need one very large, or 2 medium sized rectangular roasting pans for this recipe. Generously season both side of the chicken with salt and pepper. (note you can keep the legs attached, or cut into legs and thighs.  I left half of the legs whole and separated the rest ). Set aside. In a large skillet, heat 2 tablespoons olive oil until hot.  Add the onion, bell pepper and cherry tomatoes and sauté until the onion just begins to brown and caramelize.  Add the garlic, heirloom tomatoes, jalapeno a pinch each salt and pepper and the Herbs de Provence.  Sauté for 5 minutes. Spread the tomato mixture in the bottom of the roasting pan(s).  Add the chicken, skin side down, to the pan on top of the vegetables.  Add enough of the wine to come halfway up the side of the chicken. Cover pan(s) with lid or foil and place in preheated oven.  Bake for 50 minutes.  Remove from oven. Remove lid and turn chicken skin side up.  Wine should still come halfway up side of chicken. Remove or add additional wine if necessary.  Do not let wine come more than half way or chicken will not brown properly.  Place chicken back in oven and cook an additional 20-30 minutes, uncovered, until nicely browned.  Remove from oven. Place chicken on serving dish.  Pour liquid and vegetables into saucepan.  Reduce by half, taste and adjust seasonings if needed, and pour over chicken. Garnish with the reserved tomatoes and fresh herbs, sprinkled with sea salt and additional Herbs de Provence. It is "Chicken" week at Food Network's  #SummerSoiree roundup. Check out the other delicious sounding recipes from my blogger friends. Do you have a favorite chicken recipe? Please share in the comments section and/or link to your blog if you have one.  Feed Me Phoebe: Grilled Buffalo Chicken Quesadillas The Lemon Bowl: Indian Spiced Grilled Chicken Jeanette's Healthy Living: Fajita Spiced Beer Can Chicken Dishing With Divya: General Tso's Chicken with Indian Jeera Rice Weelicious: Breaded Chicken Cutlets with Pea Salad Sweet Life Bake: Chicken Fajitas Napa Farmhouse 1885: Farmhouse Fried Chicken Red or Green: Spicy Chicken Provencal with Peppers and Heirloom Tomatoes Elephants and the Coconut Trees: Sweet and Sour Sesame Chicken Domesticate Me: Cilantro-Lime Grilled Chicken with Strawberry-Jalapeno Salsa Devour: 5 Sizzling Skewers Swing Eats: Long John Silver's Style Fried Chicken Planks (Gluten-Free) Food for 7 Stages of Life: Best Tandoori Chicken Recipe Taste With The Eyes: Perfect Chicken Dish to Serve to a Crowd FN Dish: Chicken is Better with Grill Marks best, Diane red or green? California Girl in Taos napa farmhouse 1885 MoseyLove! please follow us on facebook I have started sharing my Taos experiences on my newest blog "California Girl in Taos". Please visit and let me know what you think.