Spicy Vanilla Chai Milkshake

Kitchen Treaty
Mon, 7 Jul 2014 11:00:23 +0000
It’s Milkshake Week! Otherwise known as a very good week indeed. Julie of The Little Kitchen and Lindsay of Love and Olive Oil have a week full of milkshakes (and giveaways!) planned, so when they asked if I wanted join in the fun by posting a milkshake recipe of my very own, well, I couldn’t possibly decline. Because, hello: what a perfect reason to test milkshake recipes!<br /><br />Milkshakes are generally something I don’t allow myself to indulge in much, but darned if I didn’t embrace this excuse. I tried a couple of different kinds of milkshakes, but this big, shareable Spicy Vanilla Chai Milkshake was the stand-out.<br /><br />Super creamy chai goodness in milkshake form – what could be better?<br /><br />What really seals the deal with this recipe is an intriguing “what is that?” heat that sort of creeps up on you and then is instantly cooled off by the creamy dairy. This super-secret mystery ingredient? Here’s a hint.<br /><br />Oh, I can’t keep a secret for long. It’s cayenne pepper! Yep, I add cayenne pepper to the mix, and I’ve gotta say I think it takes this milkshake recipe from good to sensational.<br /><br />It’s a pretty simple recipe overall. It’s essentially just infused milk and ice cream, and I made it even lazier by starting with chai tea and not even making it from scratch. Let me just say that I have tried and tried (and tried!) to make chai tea myself with the right blend of black tea and spices, but the perfect combo eludes me. So here, I start with already-spiced chai tea bags and amp ‘em up with ground ginger, cinnamon, and – yep – cayenne.<br /><br />After the concentrated chai-flavored milk cools off, just whir it up with vanilla ice cream and, voila!  Chai milkshake goodness.<br /><br />This recipe makes one large milkshake. Either indulge proper, split it in two, or plop in two straws for a shareable shake.<br /><br />Chai carumba!<br /><br />Yeah, I just said that.<br /><br />Continue Reading: Spicy Vanilla Chai Milkshake