Sponge Cake with Lemoncello Cream and Strawberries

A Communal Table
Thu, 17 Apr 2014 00:46:26 +0000
I am not really a “dessert” kind of person. Don’t get me wrong, I looove dessert and if I had my way, chocolate would definitely be on my ” I could give everything up but “blank” list.<br /><br />No, what I mean is that, as they say in culinary school you are either a cook or a baker – and I am definitely in the “cook” category.  I’ve never had the patience for cake decorating or the intricacies involves in patisserie. Which is one of the  reasons I am so  excited about this Sponge Cake with Lemoncello Cream and Strawberries -no sophisticated or special techniques required – just a simple sponge cake batter, an easy filling and fresh strawberries.<br /><br />Sponge cake.  I know… it’s not something that’s we see a lot of here in the States  – which is a shame. So, what induced me to make a sponge cake you aske?  Well,  last month we took a quick trip to London and despite what you may have heard about British food – we had some truly incredible meals. As such, I’ve been thinking a lot about British food (and Indian food, but more about that in a later post)  and so when I came across a recipe for Sponge Cake -I knew the time had come to “give it a go”.  Lighter  and fluffier than traditional butter based batters, sponge cakes lend themselves easily to whipped cream and fruit fillings -   with almost endless possibilities for experimentation!<br /><br />Which of course is what I did  with the filling – substituting some drained greek yogurt for the whipped cream and adding a judicious splash of lemoncello – and knew I’d found my “go to” dessert for the summer. Hmmm… peaches with Amaretto, raspberries with Chambord….<br /><br />What other combinations are you thinking about???<br /><br />Prep Time: 30 minutes<br /><br />Cook Time: 18 minutes<br /><br />48 minutes<br /><br />Yield: 6 - 8 servings<br /><br />You can substitute 1 tsp. lemon extract for the lemoncello if you like. The filling isn't overly sweet so if you like a sweeter filling, add 1 or 2 more tablespoons of sugar.<br /><br />Ingredients<br /><br />Instructions<br /><br /> <br /><br /> <br /><br />Sponge Cake with Lemoncello Cream and Strawberries is a post from: A Communal Table<br /><br />The post Sponge Cake with Lemoncello Cream and Strawberries appeared first on A Communal Table.