Strawberry Amaretto Shortcake Pastries #driscollsberry #strawshortcake

Comfy Cuisine
Fri, 30 May 2014 17:00:00 +0000
With very few ingredients, you can make these impressive pastries!  June is Strawberry Shortcake Month and Driscoll's Berries is kicking off this event with a recipe contest for the best Strawberry Shortcake! The Daily Meal - Culinary Content Network is teaming up with Driscoll's Berries to find the best recipe for America's favorite summer dessert!  I think we all love those little sponge cake circles filled with berries and a squirt of whipped cream, but this recipe adds a little crunch with the almonds and a delicious Amaretto cream.  It's a great combination! 1/2 pkg. frozen puff pastry sheet, thawed (1 sheet) 1/2 cup sliced almonds, divided 1 Tbsp. granulated sugar 1 container (8 oz.) sour cream 1/2 cup powdered sugar 1/4 tsp. Amaretto (or almond extract) 1-1/2 cups whipped cream 12 large strawberries, sliced Orange zestPreheat oven to 400 degrees F.  Unfold pastry dough onto baking pan.  Finely chop half of the almonds and combine with granulated sugar.  Sprinkle evenly over surface of dough.  Lightly press almond mixture into dough. Cut dough lengthwise into three strips; cut strips crosswise into four squares for a total of 12 squares.  Gently separate squares evenly over surface of pan.  Bake 16-18 minutes or until puffed and golden brown.  Remove from pan onto cooling rack. Meanwhile, place remaining almonds into a small saucepan and cook over medium-high heat 2-3 minutes or until lightly toasted, stirring occasionally.  Remove from heat and cool.  Coarsely chop. Whisk sour cream, powdered sugar and almond extract in a medium bowl.  Fold in whipped cream.  Slice strawberries.  Split open each pastry square;  arrange half of the strawberries into bottom of each shell.  Top with about 2 heaping tablespoons of the filling and sprinkle with chopped almonds.  Top with remaining strawberries.  Zest orange over strawberries.  Place tops of pastry shells over filling.  Serve immediately. These are dainty and delectable! ~Adapted from The Pampered Chef Cooks Tip:  If not serving immediately, fill right before serving.  Sliced peaches can be substitued for the strawberries.