Tomato Rice/Thakkali chooru

Kichen Corner
Tue, 14 Apr 2015 10:55:02 +0000
Tomato Rice/Thakkali chooru Tomato rice is quick and tasty one pot meal.  The rice is tangy and mildly spicy. Takkali sadam is a common menu in south Indian restaurants. It can be served with papad, pickle and yogurt. Ingredients Cooked Basmathi rice- 3 cups Tomato -3 chopped Tomato puree- 1/2 cup Onion - 1 medium Urad dal- 1 tsp Peanut- 1/4 cup Mustard seeds- 1/2 tsp Ginger sliced- 1 inch thick Green chilly slit- 3 Dry red chilly-2 Turmeric powder- 1/3 tsp Chilly powder- 1/3 tsp Hing or asafoetida 1/3 tsp ghee- 1/2 tsp salt to taste Sugar- 1/2 tsp oil- 2 tbs Curry leaves- a few   Cook rice and allow to cool down.For this recipe you can also use left over rice. Dry roast peanuts and keep aside. Heat oil in a pan and add mustard seeds and when they splutter add curry leaves, dry red chilly and chana dal and urad dal and fry till slightly brown. Saute onion till golden brown and add turmeric,chilly powder, salt, sugar and hing. Saute for a few seconds and add ginger and slit green chilly and fry till there is a nice aroma of ginger. Add tomatoes and saute for two minutes. Pour the tomato puree cover a cook for two minutes till it is really soft. Stir fry till oil separates.Add in the rice, peanuts and mix well . Serve with pickle and papad. Try this.. Hope you will all enjoy..

Comments