VAZHAIPOO VADAI RECIPE/BANANA FLOWER VADA–BANANA FLOWER RECIPES

Chitra's food book
Tue, 22 Jul 2014 14:12:18 +0000
  As i mentioned in my Vazhaipoo kuzhambu post,i made vazhipoo vadai for the first time with the tender banana flowers.It was so nice and crispy.Basically we love anything when deep fried .So when i made this Vazhaipoo vadai,Sendhil & Raksha were double happy to have a healthy deep fried snack for their tea time.It was a good change for me from the usual vazhaipoo usili or poriyal & i am happy that i’ve  got yet another yummy banana flower recipe in my list.I got this recipe from my MIL.I made few changes to make it in an easier way & prepared this vada.Ok,lets see how to make this vazhaipoo vadai easily. Vazhaipoo vadai recipe Vazhaipoo vadai - Healthy,yummy snack recipe using Banana flowers  Cuisine: Indian Category: Snacks Serves: Yields 8nos Prep time: 3 Hours Cook time: 15 Minutes Total time: 3H 15M INGREDIENTS Banana flower/Vazhaipoo – Two handful (approx 40nos)  Chana dal – 1/2 cup Toor dal – 1 tbsp (optional) Red chillies – 3-4 nos Ginger – 1 inch piece Hing/Asafetida – 1/4 tsp Water – As needed Fennel seeds – 1/4 tsp Small onions/Big onion – 20 nos / 1 no Curry leaves - few Cooking oil – to deep fry METHOD Wash and soak chana dal & toor dal for 3 hours. Wash and clean Vazhaipoo.Remove the stamen part in the flower and keep the flowers immersed in buttermilk till use. No need to chop them. First coarsely grind the banana flowers along with pinched red chillies,hing,ginger ,fennel seeds and salt. Drain the water in the soaked chana dal and grind it without adding water.The water content in vazhaipoo itself is enough to grind. Take the vada batter in a wide bowl.Finely chop onions,curry leaves & add to the batter.Mix well.Take a lemon sized ball and pat it to make masala vada shape Heat oil to deep fry.Add a pinch of batter.If it rises immediately,oil is ready.Now drop the vada and deep fry both sides till the onions turn golden brown. Remove and serve with sauce or coconut chutney ! NOTE Do not add water while grinding.Soak chana dal for minimum two hours. Adjust the quantity of chillies based on ur taste.U can also use green chillies in place of red chillies. Adding soambu/Fennel gives a nice flavor to the vada.U can also skip it if u don’t like. No need to chop the banana flowers as we are grinding it coarsely. The color of vada is generally black. I will make a detailed post on “How to clean Vazhaipoo” with stepwise pictures soon. Enjoy this crispy vazhaipoo vadai with Ginger Tea or Coffee ! Tastes yum ! Also check out my other vadai recipes Masala vada/Paruppu vadai Mixed vegetable vadai Keerai vadai Urad dal vada Technorati Tags: Vazhaipoo vadai recipe,vazhaipoo vadai,banana flower vadai,banana flower recipes,banana flower vadai recipe,how to make vazhaipoo vadai,vazhaipoo vadai recipe,Indian Vazhaipoo vadai,make banana flower vada Very good recipes Tags: Banana flower recipes, Vazhaipoo vadai, Indian Vazhaipoo vadai, Snacks, Healthy snacks