Vegetable & Barley Pulao / Pilaf

Indian Kitchen
Mon, 24 Mar 2014 08:20:28 +0000
Vegetable & Barley Pulao / Pilaf Vegetable Barley Pilaf, a healthy vegan style Pulao preparation which is easy to prepare and makes a good one pot meal during lazy days. It goes very well with any veg/non-veg curry. I served it with Curd and Chicken Varuval.  Barley is a cereal grain rich in protein, vitamin and also fibrous. Recently i have started to include it in my daily meals and also trying to use it to prepare different types of recipes like Porridge, Juice, Soup, Pulao & Khichdi. I had already shared the recipe of Barley Kanji / Porridge which is also easy to prepare. Lets move on to the recipe, Serves 1 or 2 Soaking time : 60 mins Preparation time : 10 mins Cooking time : 30 mins Ingredients : 1 cup Pearl Barley - washed & soaked for 1 hour 1 medium sized carrot - finely chopped 1/4 cup chopped beans 1/4 cup chopped capsicum 1/4 cup chopped onion 2 green chilies - slit at the end 1/4 cup mint leaves 1 tsp ginger-garlic paste 1/4 tsp turmeric powder 1 tsp garam masala 1 tsp lemon juice - optional salt to taste 2 cloves 1/4 cinnamon stick 3 cup water Method : Heat 1 tsp oil in a pan or kadhai. Add cloves and cinnamon. Add chopped onions and green chilies. Fry for a min on low flame. Add ginger-garlic paste and mint leaves. Saute a while. Add chopped carrot, capsicum and beans.   Fry for a min. Add turmeric powder and garam  masala. Sprinkle 1 tbsp water and cook it covered for 3-5 mins on low flame. Add 3 cup water and let it boil. Add barley and salt to taste. Cook it covered on low-medium flame for 25-30 mins till water is completely absorbed. And also check if barley is cooked. Sprinkle lemon juice at the time of serving. Notes : Another method of cooking : Pressure cook barley with 3-4 cup of water for 2-3 whistles. Use that water either to prepare Porridge, Juice or Curry. We can use cooked Barley to prepare Pulao. Follow the same procedures mentioned above. Instead of cooking barely along with other vegetables, we are precooking barley and mixing with cooked vegetables in this method. We are soaking barley to reduce cooking time.  You can also use other vegetables like green peas, spring onion, cabbage, cauliflower, potato, etc.. to prepare this pulao. Try it with sprouts too.