Whole Roasted Cauliflower (Gobi Musallam) with Vegan Makhani Sauce

Helyn's Healthy Kitchen
Sat, 5 Jul 2014 09:00:00 +0000
This north Indian dish makes such a lovely presentation... besides being ultra delicious! Gobi is Hindi for cauliflower and musallam is a Mughal word meaning "whole." The makhani sauce is similar to what you would find in the traditional Butter Chicken on so many Indian restaurant menus. Of course, I don't use butter in this recipe, but it doesn't matter. The coconut milk makes it super creamy and it truly does not need the extra fat. I've been wanting to make this dish for some time now, as I have seen many different recipes for it online. This is a scrumptious, vegan creation which is pretty easy to make. If you like Indian foods, you must try this one! Ingredients: 1 whole, medium-sized cauliflower~ for the sauce 1 onion 2 cups chopped tomato ¼ cup peeled and cubed fresh ginger 6 cloves garlic, diced ½ tsp turmeric 3 dates, pitted 1 TBS Ajika gobi aloo spice blend* ½ cup coconut milk (I used Thai Kitchen brand)*NOTE: Ajika spice blends are pure and wonderful. I highly recommend them if you do much Indian cooking. They make creating aromatic, flavorful dishes a breeze! If you don't want to use it, just substitute the following easy-to-find spices: 1 tsp cumin 1 tsp coriander 1 tsp curry powder Directions: Trim the base of the cauliflower and place it upside down in a pot, cover it with water and simmer for about 15 minutes. Remove the cauliflower from the water, drain well and set aside. Water sauté the onion until tender. Add the tomato, garlic, ginger, turmeric and gobi spice blend and stir well to combine. Simmer until the tomato is soft and falling apart. Add the coconut milk and stir to combine. Turn the heat off and let the mixture cool a bit, then place it in a blender with the dates. Blend until smooth. Preheat oven to 375° F. Place the cauliflower on a baking dish and coat it generously with the sauce. Don't worry if a little water drains into the dish from having blanched the cauliflower. It will keep the cauliflower moist while it bakes. Keep the extra sauce warming on the stove.  Bake the cauliflower for 30-40 minutes, until tender. Serve topped with the extra sauce and whatever else you like. I made a red lentil dal to go with it and some Indian flat bread. I also added some peas to the dish at the end, which was a nice accompaniment.  Namaste! Healthy trails,