Woon Chai Koh (Chwee Kueh, Steamed Rice Cake)

Desirable Recipes
Sun, 21 May 2017 12:30:00 +0000
Woon Chai Koh (Chwee Kueh, Steamed Rice Cake) Malaysian named it "Woon Chai Koh" and Singaporean named it "Chwee Kueh" or  modernise name will be "Steamed Rice Cake". Aiyoh...so many names, so complicated.  Just make it and eat it lor. It is my favourite snack for breakfast, lunch and even supper. It is a Chinese traditional delicacy which is depleting but there are some stalls in the market selling it at RM2.00 per piece (no joke!). If you like soft texture, then this recipe will be yours to make. Thanks to Coco's Sweet Tooth sharing this yummy recipe. Ingredients for the Rice Cake :- 200g Rice Flour 70g Tapioca Flour  4 tbsp Cooking Oil 1 tbsp Sugar 1 tsp Salt 1150 ml Water Ingredient for the Topping :- 2 packs Salted Preserved Radish (soak for 10 minutes, squeeze all the water) 6 Shallots (slice) To make the Topping :- Heat 1/2 cup Cooking Oil and fry the sliced Shallots to slightly brown. Add the Salted Preserved Radish and cook for 3 - 5 minutes. Add 1/2 tbsp sugar, dash of pepper and dark soya sauce and stir well. Set aside to cool.  To make the Rice Cake batter for steaming :- Combine all the Rice Cake ingredients and stir until well combined. Strain the mixture. Cook over medium fire until slightly thickened or able to draw a line with your finger at the back of a spoon. Remember to keep on stirring while cooking it. Switch off the fire.  To steam the Rice Cake :- Quickly pour the batter into oiled moulds. Steam at medium fire for 20 - 25 minutes (don't over steam it). (Remember to boil the water first before steaming the rice cake).  Once cooked, remove from steaming tray and set aside to cool completely before unmoulding or eating. Serve the Steamed Rice Cake with the Salted Preserved Vegetable. My Mother said I made this better than hers (LOL). Hope you have a wonderful weekends with your family or friends.

Comments